Monday, August 24, 2009

First Day of Kindergarten

The rite of passage has come and gone. My baby Gator is now a big boy at a big boy school. He began his school career today. I pray that it is the beginning of a wonderful time of his life and that learning, playing, and developing new friendships come easily and naturally for him. I am confident that my boy will shine and will be a joy to his classroom.

His teacher is Ms. Sarah Johnson and she is everything you would expect a kindergarten teacher to be: sweet, upbeat, friendly, and a little on the short side so she can get down on their level easily. :) Her classroom is decorated in fun colors with lots of bumblebees everywhere. Everywhere you look is an opportunity to learn something new, such as a scale, a big clock the kids can learn to tell time with, pretend money, and of course lots of ABCs and 123s. I'm so excited for Gator and I can't wait to watch him develop over this year.

For his first day, we got up early. He had already picked out his favorite shirt for the first day, a red polo with a shark on it, courtesy of Grandmammy and Grandpappy. He helped me pack his Spiderman lunchbox (thanks Grandma & Papaw) with all of his favorite stuff. He requested a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, cucumbers & tomatoes, grapes, a pickle, and a string cheese. I can't believe the healthy choices considering his mommy's eating habits! Then we all drove partway to school but had to park so far away that we probably should have just walked the whole way. On the way, Nathan practiced heavy, deep breathing. He learned in Tae Kwon Do when he's nervous or scared to take 10 deep breaths. He denied any nervousness, but the hyperventilating gave him away! Lauren, Daddy and I all dropped him off for the big day and I snapped a few pictures. He was totally cool with a hug and a goodbye. I didn't even cry - choked up only slightly.

When I asked how his first day went this afternoon, he could not stop talking about a little girl named Sierra so it appears he has a friend ;) He even says she's the prettiest girl in class but that I'm still the prettiest girl in the world. What a sweetheart.
Here we grow.......................

Leaving for Kindergarten



Walking to School

At His Locker in Ms. Johnson's classroom

2 comments:

The Jarretts said...

What a big boy, I can't believe kindergarten is already here for Gator. His glasses make him look so smart! Here's to a great first year of school!

The Lemleys said...

Congrats on a great experience! My niece is in kinder this year too, Ms Allen's class. Glad that he's excited about school. He looks scholarly!